Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Score So Far

One and a Half Weeks In: 

I have to preface this by saying that I was really, really nervous about the surgery rotation, for a few reasons.  The main reason is that I am not a morning person, I hate getting up at unreasonable hours (and for me, anything before 8 am is unreasonable), I am always late to everything, I am naturally a diehard night-owl, and I do not function well on little-to-no sleep.  Granted, I do it all the time, but I rarely feel like I am functioning well.  Anyway, needless to say, all those factors taken together made me very afraid that I was a) probably going to be the worst surgery student of all time and b) certainly going to be totally and completely miserable on the rotation.

The uniform.

I was also nervous because I hate feeling inept, and even though I feel that way every single day in medical school, I figured that feeling would be intensified on surgery (and this has actually turned out to be more or less true.)

New fall shoes! :)

Other reasons I was nervous include some of the questions mentioned in my previous post (and, full disclosure: the last question/concern was actually mine).  I was feeling really bummed that my heretofore somewhat-respectably-consistent exercise routine would be over forever, and that my much-healthier eating as of late would be out the window also.  

However, I am very happy to say that so far, none of my fears have been realized.  (Major caveat: I am starting out on my specialty surgery half of the rotation, and I am on the plastics service... they are notorious for having amazing hours - read: only somewhat longer than regular working hours, as opposed to inhuman hours - and they are also just a very laid-back and fun service to be on in general.  In other words, THIS COULD/WILL ALL CHANGE when I go to general surgery next.)  

In terms of getting exercise, I have actually made it FitWit most nights so far, and squeezed in a run one night when I couldn't go!
[winner: me]

Haters gonna hate.

How about eating healthy?  For the most part, I think I have done fairly well.  Eggs for breakfast!  Salads for lunch!  Apples for snacks!  Boo-ya!  Today was actually the first time in over two months that I have not packed my own lunch for work.  Pretty good streak, right??  But it might be over, sadly... I have no more groceries at home.  And today I had not one, but two Cliff Bars.  And a burrito.  And a beer.  And lots of Halloween candy.  Soooo... let's call it a wash.

Social life?  Haha... ok, this one has been sort of legitimately sucky.  Thank God I live with people I like talking to, because I have pretty much only seen them.  And I have only seen them a handful of brief times.
[winner: surgery]

But!  On plastics, you basically have weekends off (shhh, don't tell the other surgery students!), so this past weekend, I was able to drive up to Chattanooga to visit my great uncle John along with my mom, aunt Jane, and brother Martin.  Beautiful chilly fall weather, gorgeous leaves, lots of good food, plus seeing my great-grandparents' old home for the first time in probably 17 years...
[winner: me]

Great Uncle John, Aunt Jane, Mom, Martin, yours truly

And of course, there have been some holiday celebrations... that have consisted mainly of making Izzy wear this awesomely adorable costume (hey, it's my first Halloween with a dog!  I couldn't help myself.)  The roommates and I also carved jack-o-lanterns last night, which I haven't done in years.  It was a lot more work than I remembered!  But so fun.  And we also roasted the seeds... yummmm.  It also took a really long time, and so I didn't study at all and I went to bed really late, which made today sorta rough.
[winner: me, I think]

Izzy the WonderDog!

(She doesn't love wearing costumes.)

Also, on a somewhat surprising note, I have found that I am kind of loving surgery.  Like, a lot.  So all in all?  I'd say, so far... I'm still coming out ahead.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You rock sis. Working out WAY more than me. Ugh. Also LOVE your new shoes :) Feel free to bring those home over xmas break...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...